Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Day of School... Second Year :)

Monday was the first day of the new school year.
It was also one of those days where nothing goes according to plan.

First I woke up late. An hour and five minutes late.

I rolled out of bed at the same time that Nathan's school bus was rolling out of the parking lot. Missing the bus meant I had to drive him all the way to his school in rush hour traffic, which was made worse by the rain, and then sign him into the tardy log at the front office. He had started school a week earlier than I did, so he wasn't late on his first day. That's what I told myself to feel better.

I couldn't afford to be late on my own first day, so I had to head straight to school. Going back home to take a bath wasn't an option. So, I showed up in class, all dressed up, hoping and praying that no one would faint or fall under the anointing of my perfume masked BO.

Class was okay, nice professor. He told us about how he had a surprise baby even though he had gotten a vasectomy several years ago. Apparently, his tubing somehow reconnected. Talk about life throwing you a curve! The story made me feel better. My less than perfect day paled in comparison.

As I waited for my next class, I began to write a post about my first day of school and the usual "how do you say your name" questions. I didn't finish before my next class though, so I left it in drafts.

My next class was NOT okay. I chose the "wrongest" Arts elective. Music Literature had me yawning barely 10 minutes into the class. After listening to a piece of music and hearing the professor analyze the melody, harmony, rhythm and bla di bla bla bla bla of it, I knew I was in the wrong place. Then she said we would have to attend four mandatory classical music concerts and write reports about them. Detailed reports about Renaissance, Baroque and all that. Between my Sign Language, Fingerspelling and Chemistry classes I'm also taking this semester, there's no way I'm getting into all that stuff I really don't care about. No time. I decided to drop the course, choosing to drive to the admissions office at the campus nearer home so I wouldn't be stuck downtown during rush hour.

I got out of class and into the car, got on the phone and I was so engrossed in gist, I didn't pay attention to my dashboard, until I noticed the car was kinda slow. I was out of gas! Thankfully, I had made my exit off the freeway and I managed to pull into parking lot, so I didn't get towed. A long walk to the nearest gas station and a ride back to the car from a Good Samaritan later, I managed to get some gas in the tank. Not without spilling some on myself, of course. Convincing myself that the smell of gas masked my pre existing BO, I headed for campus to find a way out of the music class that wasn't working.

The song and dance that I had to got through to drop the course was my next challenge. I had to go to the computer lab, then go see a counselor, who had me go back to the lab to fill out a form, then back to her and then to admissions and enrollment and then back to the computer lab. Three hours and $104 later, I had dropped the class and replaced it with another.

And then Alexis' teacher called. She was giving them a hard time and not listening. There was no way I was going to her school in the state I was. I was exhausted and I needed a bath. Badly. I asked her to give the phone to Alexis, who promised she was going to be good after a stern warning. Temporary fix. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get Alexis to stop acting out. All this Diva behavior must stop. Nobody got time for that. 

By the time I hit my bed at almost midnight after picking everyone up in, doing homework, feeding them, giving them baths, putting them to bed, laying everyone's clothes out for the next morning and cleaning up the kitchen, I was knackered. And exhausted. Then I tried to find my post in drafts and it was gone. POOF! 

I couldn't even find the energy to be angry.

Here's what I tweeted

Yeah! Bring it on!
I will deal. And win.
I plan to come back to this post whenever I feel like I'm getting overwhelmed. There are days like Monday, and then there are days like today where it was smooth sailing for the most part and I had enough time to (re)write this post.

Thanks for coming by again and again. May your dreams come true.


  1. Wow...what a day. At least you got everything done. Kpele.

  2. You made it through. Thank God you were able to accomplish all you set out to do inspite of all the obstacles.

  3. Awww. What an experience. What are you studying in school?

    1. I'm still trying to decide between two options. I don't have to declare my major until the next school year though, so I have some time :)

  4. There are days like that and God has a way of making them all worth it...


Do drop a line. Thanks...